Tuesday, May 08, 2007

"If I believed in signs..."

Yesterday, I was working in Panera Bread. Not working for a wage as an employee... but using a table there as an office. With my two little angels at home...sometimes it is hard to get any administrative tasks accomplished there. So, I sometimes take my office on the road. Earlier that morning, I had asked the Lord to use me in conversation with someone at Panera that morning. By trial and error, I've found that a favorite table by the door gives me a vantage point to notice people as they enter and exit and the opportunity to offer a friendly smile and greeting to anyone who passes by.

When Graham entered, he commented on my computer from the vantage point of a fellow Mac fan. On his way out, we started talking. He's a friendly, brilliant man of Australian descent and a business man who lives in northeast Columbus part of the year. We discussed his work. He travels all over the world. He asked what I do. I told thim that I'm a pastor working to begin a new church in this area. He mentioned that he is a "spiritual person and is not interested in religion" that adheres to a form of Buddhist beliefs. I asked him how he defines "religion" and "spiritual". We had a riveting discussion on the differences between Jesus and how the Church (sometimes) postures itself. I shared that our church adheres to a literal interpretation of the Bible, what it says about Jesus (I shared John 14:6), AND the love and compassion and respect Jesus had for individuals (even if they did not follow His teaching).

I learned a lot from our conversation. I learned that some of the current writing on how the world is open to Jesus and even His teaching but views the Church with contempt is true, at least for Graham. I was also struck by something else that Graham said. As he was leaving he shared how he had recently returned from a business trip to Ecuador. Sitting next to him for four hours was an ancient language scholar from a South American University. From the way Graham described this man, he is a believer that discussed spiritual things with Graham on the plane. Graham said, "I don't believe in signs...but if I did..." I didn't even respond...because I think it was obvious to both of us that God is working in his life...drawing him to Himself.

I'm amazed at the way God works and uses His servants as links in the chain of His work in the lives of those who are not yet part of His family. My conversation with Graham was just one step in the journey God has him on. By God's grace, our conversation will move him forward towards biblical Truth and a personal relationship with Jesus. Who will be the next step?

I left this encounter with thanksgiving for God answering my prayer to be used in a spiritual encounter with a seeker. I left the encounter amazed at the scope of God's plan as He uses people all over the world to reach out to those that need Him. I left desiring to be used further in the lives of others.

Would you pray for Graham? Please also pray that God will continue to use us in people's lives for Kingdom purposes. Where is the next person that God would have us serve as a link in His redemptive chain in their lives? Whose life does He want to use you in?

No comments: