Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Week Of Firsts!

This is a big week in our family. Seth played in his first soccer game on Saturday (picture left), began his first day of pre-school today (picture below), and jumps in the pool at the YMCA for the start of swimming lessons tonight. It is amazing to think how our family is progressing. God is good.

In addition to fun family times, there are at least 2 additional benefits I've praised God for in this week of firsts:

  1. I've been learning some lessons and been able to process some things God is teaching me as I watch Seth move forward in his development as a boy and young man. Two things have touched my heart:

    • In the cases of soccer and school, we've seen signs of fear in Seth as he encounters new situations and people. We're learning about his personality and how he handles change and adversity. On the way to our soccer game Saturday and school today, I found a recurring theme coming up in my conversations with Seth. Before both events (first game and first day of school), Seth and I were talking about the fact that it is OK to be afraid. I was trying to explain to Seth that Daddy is also often afraid as I encounter new situations or have to push myself to do something that is uncomfortable. That is understandable and OK. It was fun to also explain to Seth that God promises to be with us and asks us to not be afraid as we ask Him for help. We also talked about what courage is...that courage is moving forward into something, with God's help...even when we are afraid. What a joy to watch Seth take these lessons to heart and run into his game/walk into his classroom and try something new.
    • I've seen myself and our church planting experience as I watch Seth try soccer and attend a new class. As a Dad, I watch Seth captively and try to be sensitive to his fears and feelings as we work through these new stages. I see his care and concern to get things right as he learns to pass or dribble a soccer ball and I am touched deeply in my heart as I sense the fear he experiences around new children on his team or in his class.

      A thought has entered my mind on more than one occasion this week: could God be watching me like I watch Seth? As a family, there have been so many firsts in the last 7 months. So many scary situations, so many times where we've tried something new. So many people we've initiated conversations with. There has been fear, tears, hesitance, anxiety, times where we've forgotten to ask God for help... I was comforted as I thought of God watching us as I watch Seth: loving, caring, helping, prodding, teaching, instructing, allowing us to go through difficult times because that is what is best... The more I experience as a Dad...the more I understand my heavenly Dad...and the more determined I am to please Him, even when it means moving forward through my fear. Be encouraged- you're heavenly Father is with you as you face whatever giants loom large in your service to Him.

  2. As we've participated in these adventures with Seth, we've been meeting tons of new people AND seeing previous contacts in the community. It is so fun when something like soccer or school or swimming lessons gives us natural opportunities to connect with other parents, etc. For instance, at pre-school today, I was able to talk with a lady from our neighborhood (that came to our block party), meet a new family, talk with the dad of another child that was in Seth's class last year, and connect with the mom of a soccer player I coached last season. We're starting to see some of our contacts multiple times in various places around the community which helps further our relationships. What a difference 7 months makes- when Trish and I walked into Seth's school in mid February- we knew NO ONE! We get more and more opportunities to tell others what we are doing here.

    Please pray for more and more opportunities to meet new people, communicate our mission, and invite people to join us. Pray that God would use us to love people and reveal spiritually sensitive people that would partner with us. Thanks!

No comments: