Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pray for Changed Lives

I'm amazed at all the things God has done and all the prayers He has answered this summer. We have had absolutely amazing ministry opportunities, have loved thousands of people in practical ways, seen our team continue to develop, and are enjoying weekly worship gatherings in our new home at the YMCA. God is good and has been doing significant miracles.

In case you're wondering (and even if you're not)...here's an honest look into Andy's heart. As excited as I am about all God is doing (and much more that we can't even see or understand)...I'm constantly haunted by the question, "When are we going to see multiple people come to Christ and see real fruit in changed lives/disciples made?" Part of me knows that this is a process--relationships take time to develop and a missional church takes time to get off the ground and train missionaries to impact their world. But, another part of me fears that all of our activity might be just that...activity. I don't want to look back on this year and see a lot of great community involvement and not be able to see evidence of numbers of people coming to Jesus.

In that light, I'm amazed at the opportunities God continues to bring to build relationships with people (most of whom I'm confident don't know Jesus):
  • the doors are wide open for involvement with community event planners and business leaders...
  • soccer season is starting up and I have the privilege of coaching Seth's team again
  • Seth starts Kindergarten next week which will open the door for us to connect with countless new people through his school
  • our team is growing...each of them have a web of relationships we want to work through
  • we're planning a block party in September...
There was a time in my ministry where I had to work to think of people in my network of relationships that were unchurched. I'm ashamed to say there were times when I couldn't think of more than 5 or 6 people. Now I could list hundreds. I'm thankful for the connections God has given us and the significant doors He has opened.

Would you pray with us that God would help us get to the next level with people that don't yet know Jesus?
  • Pray for redemptive conversations.
  • Pray for deepened relationships.
  • Pray for opportunities to show Jesus' love to people in times of pain or transition.
  • Pray God would lead us to spiritually searching people.
  • Pray that ClearView wins people to Christ and takes shape as a church full of changed lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be encouraged, Andy ... that honest question you're asking is the same honest question we are asking at Grace Connections. We want to love people not just toward Jesus, but ultimately to Jesus. And yes, it's frustrating when the process takes time ... and especially when people take a step backwards (which I've experienced just this week). However, I know you know that while we can plant and water, it's God who brings the growth. So just keep asking God to let you be the answer to Jesus' prayer about being the worker in God's harvest field. Again, I know you know that, but I think all of us church planters need that reminder when the activity level is high but the transformation level hasn't caught up yet. I'll be praying for you guys at Clearview!

Andy Wirt said...

Right on, Dale... Thanks for the encouragement and prayer. Blessings to you!