Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Amen, bro!

I have a church-planter friend named Jeremy McClung, who is working hard to begin a church in Huntsville, Ontario, Canada. I admire Jeremy and have been amazed as I've read his blog posts and prayer updates how their faith/church-planting journey mirrors ours. In a recent update, Jeremy wrote the following about how his heart is alive with mission. Since the piece is so well-written and it echoes what God is doing/has done in our lives over the last year...I asked Jeremy if I could share it here. He graciously agreed- so be encouraged!

I've been thinking more and more lately about the fact that I want to make the kind of life I'm living right now a permanent experience. I grew up in a Christian home, heavily involved in church, with mostly Christian friends. I went to a Christian college, was a part of Christian clubs and organizations and hung out with other Christians there. Then I went to be a pastor and my life continued to revolve around church and church people. Now, don't get me wrong--I understood the real world, and would even visit there sometimes. But I lived in the Christian bubble. 90% of my relationships were with people who shared my faith commitment and worldview.

Now I find myself in a place where 90% of my relationships are with those who don't share my commitment. April and I are involved in a number of community clubs and organizations, and the only "church" event we go to on a weekly basis is our small group. And let me tell you, it's fun. More than ever in my life I feel the potential for God to use me and speak through me. I'm learning these relationships (like any real friendship) take time to build trust and rapport. And none of them carry guarantees that we will have any "spiritual influence"--and we try not to worry too much about that. No strings attached, no pressure to convert or conform. But I know this--there's a lot more potential for us to make a difference now that we're "out there" rather than "in the bubble."

My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. Because you don't have to be a church planter to escape the bubble. Imagine...what if more Christians intentionally cut back on church relationships and activity, got heavily involved in their communities, built friendships with people who didn't go to church, and really loved them with no strings attached? If what we believe is really true, then that ought to naturally make a big difference in the world. So I encourage and challenge you to take stock of your own life. If you're stuck in the bubble, make a run for it. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: