Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Update To Northwest Chapel

I had the privilege of giving an update to the people of our principle sponsor, Northwest Chapel, this past Sunday morning.  To God's glory, I think the time went well and people seemed to respond with interest and excitement for all that God is doing in northeastern Franklin County.

Below is the text from the manuscript I practiced in preparation for this event. I include it here for you to praise God with us for His work over the last 8 months or so.  Sometimes the day-to-day movement seems slow... but when I am forced to look at the big picture (as I was when I prepared the text of this update)...God is moving in amazing ways.  Thanks for praying with us.

The talk went something like this:

Thank you so much for your financial support of our family and church plant. Without you, the dream of ClearView would never become reality. Your leaders are mentors and encouragers to me and your financial support has helped my family make a living. I am forever indebted to Northwest Chapel and its vision to be missional and reach the world for Christ through church planting.

When I think of my journey of spiritual formation over the last year, the first thing I think of is the transformation God has done in me. I’ve been a pastor for 10 years. But, I think God had to take the pastor out of the church in order to teach him to be a missionary. We’re planting a church from scratch. When you’re a pastor with no people…you have to learn how to go out and find them.

Church planting is the most difficult thing we’ve ever done, but I feel more alive than I ever have. We have the opportunity, everyday, to start conversations with people, build relationships and look for opportunities to share Jesus’ love. To God’s glory, for the first time in my life, I know I’m doing what God made me to do.

God has also been using challenges along this journey to build faith in our hearts. In June, we began our first Bible study group with 13 in attendance. We’ve really been working hard to grow this group…praying, inviting new people…everything we can think of.

I remember the day in July when one person showed up to our meeting. Even though we had been prepared for this scenario mentally, I was so disappointed. I was thinking, “How are we going to build a church when we can only get one person to show up at a Bible study?”

That night, I spent several hours reading the Bible and crying out to God. God did something in my heart that night, and I haven’t been the same since. It’s hard to describe, because I don’t really understand it, but in those quiet, intimate moments with God, I sensed Him strengthening my heart. He confirmed our calling, assured me of His promises, His perfect plan, and timing, and of His presence with us. As I stand here this morning, and reflect back on that dark day, God used it strengthen our resolve. To God’s glory, I now feel a burning sense of confidence in my heart. I believe God is going to do improbable things miraculous ways because He wants a new church that loves people to a clear view of Jesus and His mission in northeastern Franklin County.

As I reflect on the last nine months, God has moved in amazing ways. To His glory, our journey has also included countless answers to prayer and miracles that only God could do.
• I remember the day Pastor Martin helped us move into our house. I didn’t know anyone. I felt afraid, lonely, and overwhelmed. 9 months later, those same people I was afraid of… we’ve met more than half of the people in the 191 homes in our neighborhood, hosted over 60 of them at our Neighborhood Bible Club, enjoyed 50 of them at our block party, and loved many of them in practical ways through mowing their lawn or delivering flowers at times of tragedy.

In one case, a lady we had never met was violently assaulted. With some friends, we arranged to send her flowers while she was in the hospital. A few weeks later, there was a knock at our door. That was the first time we met Mesarat. Wednesday night, I sat across from Mesarat and her fiancé, Gary, at Max and Erma’s. One topic of conversation was how excited they are about ClearView and their desire to be an important part of our team. Out of tragedy and kindness…God brought us a key couple.

In addition, God has allowed us plant our family into the soil of our community. We’ve met and are meeting hundreds of people through coaching soccer, pre-school, swimming lessons at the YMCA, and just being friendly and initiating conversations. Last Saturday, we reached a milestone…our first community-wide service project where we gave out over 750 balloons, painted hundreds of faces, and met countless new people at our ClearView booth at New Albany’s Oktoberfest. God is leading us to people and allowing us to make an impact. I wish I could tell you more amazing stories of people God has led us to. You’ll have to have us over for dinner…☺

• God is also answering prayer by leading us to our initial team members. In addition to our own, there are four families committed to our work. Considering we didn’t know anyone when we moved to the area, God has moved greatly and given us great people work with—people that are actively working to share the love and hope of Jesus with those around them.

I’m so thankful for the journey God has us on. He is teaching us about Himself as He reveals His plan for a new church step-by-step. Thank you, again, for your vital part in our work. Our journey continues…and as God leads, today, I ask you for your help.

You can help us in two important ways:
• We need prayer. Please pray with us. There is a prayer card in your bulletin with suggestions on how to pray. If you’d like to join our prayer team and receive regular updates, e-mail me at the address on the card.
• We need teammates. In a group this size, perhaps some of you live close to the northeast side of town. Maybe you know people in New Albany, Gahanna, or Westerville. Please tell them about our work. Refer them to our website. Give them my e-mail. Or, give me their name and I’ll contact them. If you would stop by our table in the Commons, I have some invite cards for our weekly meeting that you could give to them. Please help us find partners
.

No comments: