Sunday, February 25, 2007

What Are The Chances Of That?

God is working. I'm amazed. I spent time in prayer this morning, crying out to God out of a heart full of fear and being overwhelmed at the great work ahead of us. I was thinking out of a heart focused on my inadequacies. God brought me again to Psalm 145 and focused me on HIS greatness and the power of HIS work! He also challenged me from John 15 with His promises of great fruitfulness if we remain vitally connected to Him. Cognitively, I understand that any success God gives in church planting will correlate to our ability to keep our eyes focused on Christ and off of ourselves. That is easier said than done...but I want to learn how. I believe Jesus promises fruit when there is a central and consistent focus on Him and His mission.

That being said, I came out of my devotional time with a peace from God that I was very thankful for. My heart was at ease. And, the exciting thing is that we can see God working in a bunch of odd circumstances. Here are some below. Keep in mind- we're in a place unfamiliar to us with tens of thousands of people all around us. Encountering someone we know through other people is analogous to a miracle!

  • Last week Trish and Seth were getting a drink at our local Panera Bread. A lady approached Trish and mentioned that Trish looked familiar. They talked for a while and Trish learned that this woman was the mother of a high-school classmate of hers. Add to that, this woman keeps in touch with the wife of another classmate of Trish's that lives in the New Albany area AND has a 4-year-old boy. Trish has since made contact with the couple and we're hoping for renewed friendships for us and a new friend for Seth. Could they be partners in our launch? We'll see what God has in mind.
  • Yesterday at church, Trish ran into some other parents of a high-school classmate of hers. He is an elder at our sending church, Northwest Chapel. They also know a couple our age related through Worthington Christian (school) that they think might be interested in helping us launch a church in northeastern Franklin County. They are finding this couple's information and will get it to us. It is exciting to us as God reveals people who are thinking and praying with us about those who might be involved in God's work in this area.
  • Also yesterday, our family is learning the area. For Wirt boys (and Trish too :), this has to include frequenting any ice-cream establishment in a 35-mile radius. We were in a Graeters in northern Gahanna (about a mile from our home) ordering. I was talking to the man behind the counter, Scott, who happened to be the manager. I was trying to make small talk to break the ice and build the beginnings of a relationship. As the conversation unwound, he shared that he had just moved to the northeast side of town from the northwest side of Columbus. I told him we had moved the area to work with a church in the Dublin area. I asked him if he had ever heard of Northwest Chapel. He said, "Yeah, I go there!" We had a neat connection talking about people we both know through the church. I was able to share what we are doing in the northeastern section of the county. He said, "Well, I'd come!" I asked him if he'd like to help us. He enthusiastically agreed.

    I was absolutely stunned. I can't even believe God would take us out to ice-cream and lead us to a friendly guy who, with his skills as business man and many community contacts, will be a huge asset to our fledgling ministry. Needless to say, I got Scott's card and plan to try to take him to lunch as soon as possible.

  • Also at Graeters, we met a mom named Mara. We had a good conversation with her about raising kids and the related challenges. It proved to us that our target area includes many families, like ours! :), that face challenges with their children and they need biblical help. By God's grace and provision, we'll see Mara again someday!

To me, it was if God was saying, "See...you were all uptight at the beginning of the day...focusing on your weaknesses and how large the task is from your perspective. You focus on ME and I will work GREAT things that only I can do. You just be obedient and love people." I'll take that any day.

Thanks for praying with us! Praise God!

1 comment:

Keri Bush said...

That is awesome!!!!!! Thanks for the encouragement through your story. Love, The Bush's