Wednesday, April 15, 2009

God Speaks Through Silas

Ever had an encounter with God while interacting with your kids? It is so bizarre, but there are times when God takes a conversation with one of my children and uses it to speak right to my heart. Monday was one of those times.

Monday's are my day off. I was processing our Easter weekend at ClearView. There was much to thank God for (see previous post). God worked in great ways through our community involvement and Easter worship gathering. Yet, as a leader and church starter, I had prayer goals for the day that were not met. I wanted to see more people present on Sunday and more response to the hard work and dollars our team put into inviting others (door hangers, newspaper, personal invites, prayer/fasting). Long story, short, I was disappointed with our numbers. Several of my prayers that morning consisted of something like this: "Lord, we worked hard. We invited. We invested. We were creative. We prayed. You promise in your word that if two or three agree, pray, you will do it. You promise that the smallest bit of faith can move mountains...why didn't more people respond to our invitations?"

In the course of the morning, Silas and I got in the van (it was raining) to drive to the bus stop to pick up Seth (returning from Kindergarten). Since it was just down the street and not on any main road (please don't turn me in!), I allowed Silas to sit in the front seat. When we stopped, he was messing around with buttons on the dashboard. One button he pushed was the rear window defrost button. If your car is like ours, when this button is activated, a light comes on. Silas pushed the button and the light came on, indicating the rear defroster was working. But...to Silas, things looked different. He said, "Dad, I pushed the button. It is not working. Nothing is happening." Of course, smart dad that I am, I said, "Silas, it is working, you just can't see it".

It was like a friend gently punched me in the gut. It wasn't a hard, mean, punch... but a soft reminder that something important had just taken place. I, almost literally, heard God say, "So am I working...You can't see it (or you can't see what you want to see)...but trust me, I am working!" AhhHahh... Just what I needed to be reminded of God's perfection and my limited perspective. Thanks God, for a timely reminder through this interaction with my precious boy!

No comments: