Wednesday, April 18, 2007

How Did He Do It?

THE major goal we are praying about and working on right now is asking God to lead us to the person, couple, or family that would be willing to join us in our first spiritual formation group (Bible study with an emphasis on building genuine spiritual community together). We're continuing to meet new people every day, trying to gently and lovingly feel out spiritual receptivity among the people we meet at the YMCA, coaching soccer, in our neighborhood, etc. We've asked several people to consider participating in such a group with us. However, the challenge of finding people who trust us enough or are open to such a relationship is even larger than we expected.


I'm trying to learn and contemplate why this part of our journey is so difficult. Part of it has to be that all of our relationships are new and there has not been time to build trust with our new friends. God has even led us to numerous mature followers of Jesus. These people are already connected to good local churches and friendships and I'm sure the prospect of starting a new church from scratch seems risky. Whenever we meet anyone and tell them of our work, their first questions are Where are you meeting? and How many people are working with you? I'm sure it is a bit freaky when we answer (something like), We're not meeting anywhere yet...because it is just our family. I guess I would be skeptical of me too.


These thoughts and fears in mind, I'm more amazed than ever at Jesus' methods. Mark 2:13-17 describes His call of Levi (Matthew). Jesus was out among people, saw Levi working, asked Levi to join Him, and Levi accepted. Calls of Simon, Andrew, James and John (Mark 1:16-20) were also successful. How did Jesus know who to pick? Why did the men readily accept? Was there any relationship or history or trust there that the Bible doesn't record? Did any initial contacts refuse Jesus' invitation? These are the questions I'm asking God today.


What I do learn from Jesus is that He was constantly among the people. Mark says He saw Levi "...as He walked along...". We've got to continue to find ways to meet more people. Jesus also had His eyes open. I don't know what it was, but there was something that prompted Him to approach Levi. God, open our eyes to the people and opportunities you want us to see and approach. Finally, I notice (simple!) that Jesus wasn't afraid to ask. He simply said, Come, be my disciple. God, give us the courage, wisdom, and words to clearly request of people that they join us on mission for you.


Friend, your prayers are needed. Thanks for praying with us. This post is an honest reflection of my heart today. I want to live Matthew 21:21-22...but sometimes my heart is weaker than my head. I also know we have a responsibility to work hard to meet and befriend people. But, ultimately, this is spiritual work. Please pray that Jesus would deepen our faith and do Matthew 16:18 with us today.

No comments: