Friday, March 23, 2007

My Kids, The Evangelists

Everyone said that kids will be an asset in church planting. Sometimes that is hard for us to see amidst the joys and challenges of chasing around a four and one-year-old. But, I'm beginning to see others' words take shape- and I love it!

Recently, we were outside on a beautiful pre-spring day. Since I haven't had a chance to build a sandbox in our new backyard, our front flower beds have become construction sites where all sorts of Tonka trucks and equipment are busy moving mulch all over our side-walk and grass for various "parks", "bike-trails", and "sky-scrapers". Anyway, being out front has allowed us to meet and talk with many people taking walks and enjoying the great days.

On this particular day, a mom and daughter came by and proceeded down the street. Silas, newly walking and unsteady on the grass and uneven surfaces outside, took off after them, waddling down the sidewalk. He walked a good half-block and, with me following after for protection, bee-lined across the street right over to these people. Silas broke the ice and allowed me to have a great conversation with this neighbor. Seth followed us and began playing with her girls. Without my kids, I wouldn't have had an "in" with this mom...or an excuse to stand around and have a spiritual conversation.

I'm beginning to realize these little gifts God has given us are probably our biggest church-planting assets. May the doors they open lead to lives focused on Jesus and His mission.

No comments: